Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy New (school)Year!

Hi.

So, I just spent the past few days on a retreat with my coworkers. We went up to the mountains and stayed in a cabin for a couple nights--it was cuh-razy fun.

The thing is this--I had a great year last year. And I suppose I talked a lot about my RA staff being wonderful, but my RD staff was amazing as well. But there's something about this year that's blowing my mind a little bit. Since I got back to campus and have been with them all day for the past week and a half--it's been AWESOME. What's super crazy is that we have 3 newbies, too--and they just...belong. I've been having the best time with all of them and I suppose I'm realizing how blessed I am to be part of something like that. A common purpose. A shared vision. A genuine love for one another. I'm fairly certain that doesn't happen where most people work. And sure, maybe it's because we're res life geeks, and since we work, play, eat, live together--it bonds us in a way that is unusual to say the least--but I still don't think that what we've got going happens all the time--even in a res life capacity.

I'm super lucky to know these people.

As for the retreat, it was unreal--we had so much fun. The glory of being a bunch of self-proclaimed res life geeks is that you're totally on board for playing silly games until 2am. Or pass hours playing euchre and/or spades. You kill the TV and stay up til 4 talking about everything from calling and vocation--to body odor. I never thought I'd be such a fan of forced togetherness. Turns out that if it's this bunch, I am.

1 comment:

m.wise said...

that sounds like a fun trip, and a fun career. i'm already a geek, maybe i need to look into becoming a res life geek.