Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Upgrade this, sucka.

It's really cold here in Grove City today, and it's raining. But not even a hard, steady rain. It's the real shitty kind where it's sort of just misting/spitting and all of it just pisses me off.

I'm not sure why that's relevant to my story, but it's kind of how I was feeling. So, I've decided that I want strangers to leave me alone. Just leave me alone. Please don't put your 12-year-old daughter in a way too short "cheerleading" skirt and have her stand outside of Bi-Lo asking for money. No, I don't want to buy popcorn from the Boy Scouts. No, I'm not interested in supporting the Lady Tigers softball team. And for God's sake--don't come up to me in my car while I'm in traffic trying to fill a coffee can with ashtray change for the Baptist Voice.

I'm over it. And I'm also over the incredible asshole push I get every time I go into a store to buy anything. I went to Movie Gallery today. I was getting more Lost episodes. Brenda, the lady behind the counter tried to sell me some dumb membership. Then she tried to sell me popcorn and gummy bears. Then she reminded me that I qualified for some "upgrade" that would only cost me $8.76 per month. Riiiiiiiight. The DVDs I just rented cost me $2. Times are tight everywhere, Brenda. Leave me alone. No, I don't have a value perks card. No, I don't want to save 10%. No, I don't need any purse-sized hand lotion/antibacterial gel/lip balm. What I want is for you to leave me alone. Let me make my purchase and get on with my life. Gah.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Yeah, it blows. But a lot of the time, people pushing things are being pushed by higher ups behind the scenes about how they're not meeting their quota of GAP credit cards for the month or some shit.

It's bull and I feel for you. I have days too where I'm like, "Gimme the damn DVD. Can't you see I'm watching a movie alone?"

carly said...

Lol "Errr...Brenda? Look, I'm a dork who's going to stay in her apartment tonight, curled up on the couch with NO ONE, and watch anywhere from 3 to 4 hours of Lost. Do you really want to mess with someone so incredibly unstable?"

Unknown said...

Amen and amen...

Danny said...

My thoughts exactly at our local grocery stores when the clerk tries to engage in conversation. Can't I just remain anonymous?!