I'd be pissed. Why aren't you guys pissed?
Here's my beef--why does every commercial on TV ultimately involve a husband/father/boyfriend who is the biggest idiot ever? They make them stupid. They make them silly. They make them liars. You want examples? Gladly.
These two really get on my nerves:
1.) the Verizon commercial where the father goes around telling each individual family member that s/he is his "number one." Haha. I get it...see, he wants all of them to think he loves them the most. Ha ha. Yeah. But it doesn't end there--the last scene is him walking out the door with the coolest of the phones muttering to himself something about saving the best for "numero uno."
It's obnoxious. So, there's dear old dad. A liar. A shmooze. A selfish douche. And it's supposed to be funny. And maybe it would be if it wasn't such a sad commentary on how the world obviously views men.
2.) the iRobot/Roomba vacuum commercial where some snarky housefrau is complaining that she lives with a bunch of animals. Her children are pigs (cue the set of running, squealing, fat, pink little porkers barrelling through the living room) and her husband...aye dios mio...him, he's a...well, you know. She rolls her eyes, hinting at the thing standing behind her--and it's a jackass. It's actually a shot of a donkey's ass. Later, she says something about getting to spend time with her "best friend" and they show her and the jackass on the couch.
Bravo...an attempt at a save. Too little, too late. All I could think was that, now, it's funny to take something as important as family, as a marriage--and demean it, mock it, and above all else, make men look like second-class citizens. And not only that, but to assume that women everywhere will laugh along, rolling their eyes as they cackle at the TV that they, too, are married to selfish, stupid jackasses.
Sigh. Isn't life as a woman hard? Ungrateful children. The stupid, stupid man I married who, no doubt, probably can't find his ass with both hands. I swear, I'd be better off without him....unless he was buying me diamonds. Or changing my oil.
But I'm not buying it. I happen to know plenty of men who are wonderful. They're wise, and good, and smart, and charming and funny. They aren't annoying fools who can't complete simple tasks without the help of a woman or a 3-year-old child.
"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman." -Anais Nin
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i don't like the truck commercials where the truck is pulling a cargo box up the side of a cliff, where the truck has to go through a giant sliding steel door before it closes, where the truck then has to stop itself before it flies off of another cliff, where the truck has to haul a heavy load of material and then stop when going downhill, or uphill, or downhill in the rain, or before it runs over a baby deer that's run onto the road, or where the truck has to stop before being smashed by a swinging beam, then start again before being smashed by another swinging beam, or how this truck is the best, or how that truck is the best, or how howie long can pick up guys who have run out of gas and drive up a hillside to avoid a traffic back-up, and how automobile companies are almost as bad as movie/music/tv performers in how everyone wins something from somewhere with there being ten or fifteen different award presenters, so there's no value to it.
and i'm also annoyed by other commercials like the verison and rhumba and on and on and on...
Personally, I just don't make the connection. There are a lot of foolish guys. There are admirable guys. I don't identify with the foolish ones, so when a commercial comes on that knocks on guys, I just assume they're referring to the ones I think are idiots as well.
pssht. what do you know...you're a man.
Post a Comment