"Doing nothing is the most tiresome job in the world because you cannot quit and rest.”
I do nothing. Correction: I do the equivalent of nothing. All day. And it exhausts me--because I can't rest from it. Every call, every interaction, seems to be one that reminds me that I'm wasting time.
But I tend to follow that thought with a quick shot of "Who the hell do you think you are?"
I mean, are we all destined for something great? We can't all be, can we? The simple logic of it says that in order to have greatness, to know what it is, something ordinary, plain and average is necessary.
A great life is only great if you have something to tip the scales with.
Right?
Gah. I need more half-naked marshmallow candy to lighten this place up...
Friday, March 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Aaaw, don't resign yourself to being the cog that runs the machine thanklessly.
It's the competition of clawing your way to the top that gives you the perspective, not looking up at giants who came before you.
And really, how much more ordinary, plain averageness do we need. I think we've got it figured out by now.
And this is why I love the internet.
Seriously, that's one of the hits I got on a "naked marshmallow" Google search.
your feeling/rant/sadness reminds me of edward norton in fight club. not sure why. maybe the connection between his insomnia and your feeling of littleness. i don't know. don't mind me. carry on.
1. adam, that was awesome.
2. mike, i heart edward norton. AND fight club.
i am jack's complete lack of surprise.
and after thinking a bit, i've decided i'm already great. and way beyond ordinary. someone else can tip my scale....
Post a Comment