Ok, so if you read any of the comments under the "Ladies, all the ladies" post, then you might have been wondering just what the 'Flaming Dryer Fire of 96' was.
Our res hall (yeah, Young East/North!!) had a guys wing and a girls wing. One night, some ridiculous dude over on the guys' side was doing laundry, and put SO MANY clothes into the dryer, like, packed it full of jeans, towels, etc, that the dryer was running....and heating up...but because there was so much in it--it couldn't TUMBLE the actual clothing. It just sat in there. Getting hotter. And hotter...until it caught fire. It was midnight when the fire alarms went off.
Which is when I looked at Chrissy and told her that if I was going to go through the trouble of putting on a bra, it better be a REAL fire. I know...I sort of feel like I was responsible somehow. We ended up all sitting out in the parking lot for hours. The only other fire incident that rivaled its fabulosity was when the football team from Geneva Arms had been grilling and threw the live, hot coals into the dumpster and 'Big Daddy' Warsing was trying to put it out with his Supersoaker when the fire department showed up.
Anyway, today Chrissy emailed me the photo she took of the drawing I put up on our dry erase board outside our apartment the day after the dryer fire. I laughed so hard when I opened it...
And while I was waxing nostalgic, I found these pictures of us, Chrissy:
And the freaking ultimate:
Yes. I was a chubasaurus. With really awful makeup. And apparently I didn't own a set of tweezers. You'll no doubt notice the flannels...and my Birkenstocks. The 90s were not kind to me, people. For God's sake, I was a Monica Lewinsky look-a-like.
But in the end--yay for the good ol' days!
2 comments:
let me be the first to say that I am so glad that 90's styles for me came from the kids section....
Oh, the dumpster fire just took me back to those good old years :) What an intelligent football team Geneva had!
Post a Comment