I got one today.
"Hello, I'd like to make a change to my policy. The policy number is..."
"Sir? I'm sorry. Were you trying to reach Insuranceworld?"
"Yes..." (He was hesitant and apparently confused.)
(I gave a little polite laugh) "Yeah, this happens more than you'd think--you have the wrong number."
"But...this isn't Insuranceworld?" (more confusion.)
"No, this isn't. See, our phone numbers are very similar. Here, the number is (800) 888-8868. Insuranceworld is (800) 888-8869."
"Yeah. 8869...that's what I dialed."
"With all due respect, sir--obviously, you didn't. Because this isn't Insuranceworld. Have a nice day." (click.)
Can I just take a moment here and sit with my mouth gaping open in a blank, dumb, disbelieving stare?
"That's what I dialed?!" Are you kidding me?!
This is what makes my head spin--he thought I was lying? That I secretly work for Insuranceworld but didn't want to help him with his policy so I made up a fake company with a fake phone number? That is way more plausible to him than the possibility that he hit the wrong button while dialing.Today is going to be one of those days I end up crying in a bathroom stall...
2 comments:
If it makes you feel better, I had a lady dial my number wrong twice in 5 minutes and I told her both times that so-and-so was not the owner of this phone. She had someone else dial the third time (I heard them talking when he told her it was a wrong number). Apparently, she thought he might press the same buttons differently and somehow reach who she wanted.
"Hey, I keep dialing this number and getting the wrong guy, you try."
these people vote, adam.
and whatever side you're on--that should scare all of us.
Post a Comment