Tuesday, April 01, 2008

True story.

I found this book in my mailbox at work today. It's signed to me-by the author.

I thought, "Awesome! I love SATC!" Then I start leafing through it and find the following:

"An honest, engaging and hopeful response to the dating dilemma..."
"Trading sex for love is a common theme in today's unstable dating world..."
"Too many women are searching for love and truth in all the wrong ways..."
"Sex doesn't make you special. It just makes you available..."

...and I start to wig out a little. There was no note. No follow-up email from a co-worker saying that they put it in my box. So, I immediately thought what anyone would think. Namely, "Oh my god, someone here thinks I need this book. They were at a trade show, whatever, saw it, and thought of the most single, most hopeless, most promiscuous girl at work to get it for and--oh my god--it.was.me."

It made perfect sense. That's why they didn't tell me who it was who gave it to me. They were obviously singling me out. No pun intended.

I asked everyone if it was them. And I was so diplomatic and kind about it. Sweet voice, bright smile--"Hey! Was it you who put that great book in my mailbox?!" No luck. And I was really starting to feel pretty shitty about the whole thing until my brother called me, giggling. He's 27 (today) and honest to god, he was giggling, when he said, "Yeaaah. Everyone thought I'd be to busy thinking about my birthday to pull off a great April Fools, huh!?"

Punk'd.

2 comments:

edluv said...

that...was...awesome!

Adam said...

Great prank.