You want help?
I just was reading this article on MSN. Honestly, people. I wish this was my problem. Let me tell you something--the idea that my job would ever be in jeopardy because of automated services is a cruel joke.
The people I deal with 8.5 hours a day, Monday through Friday guarantee me job security. You want an example? Gladly. I just got off the phone with a woman who had me pull up a particular author in my database. She then insisted I read off all 15 titles, along with the ISBNs, so she could place an order later. I asked her if she has our catalog. She does. I asked her if she's ever been to our website (where, incidentally, all of our product is listed, along with images, blurbs, and up-to-date stock numbers). She has. But she's "busy."
My friend Rachel put it best when one day, while we were commiserating in the lunch room, she said, "I don't know if it's because of our generation, but if I can do something and not have to talk to a single living person--I'm happy." I agree. Which is why I can't understand these people I deal with. I have to stop myself from being like, "Why didn't you just Google that?"
But then again...I also think you should have to take a competency test and be issued a swipe card that will activate a self check-out register.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's a generational thing. I know that it would take me more than the fingers on each hand to count how many times I've heard an old person lament that cashiers don't have to count their change back to them.
We have the world at our fingertips with the internet but we're also savvy enough to feel comfortable using it. Too many old people get swindled and taken by scams that they prefer human interaction.
Interestingly, I hear older people talk about never using their credit cards on the internet because of identity theft, but I never see them having a problem giving the card to a young waiter to be taken out of sight for several minutes.
Anyway, I'm just rambling.
Oh, and I love self-check out at the grocery store as long as I'm not buying tons of vegetables. Those are a pain to look up for each one.
I just had this conversation last night with my bff!
You don't have to look them up--just enter in the number!
Here at Giant Eagle, bananas are #4011.
Hmmm...they don't have those numbers on everything though. I'd have to pull stuff like brocolli, carrots, or snow peas off the number at the bin.
Post a Comment