Wednesday, July 09, 2008

To A God Unknown

I just started reading this book last night.

I love Steinbeck. So much. So, so much.

He bowed his white head, "May the blessing of God and my blessing rest on this child. May he live in the light of the Face. May he love his life." He paused for a moment. "Now, Joseph, you may go to the West. You are finished here with me."

The winter came soon, with deep snow, and the air was frozen to needles. For a month Joseph wandered about the house, reluctant to leave his youth and all the strong material memories of his youth, but the blessing had cut him off. He was a stranger in the house and he felt that his brothers would be glad when he was gone. He went away before the spring had come and the grass was green on the hills in California when he arrived.

Yeah. Like that.

5 comments:

Adam said...

You certainly missed the green grass window in California. =)

carly said...

Lol maybe.

But it's more so about how he's reluctant to leave the "material memories of his youth" and how he suddenly feels like a stranger in the place he's always belonged.

Oh hell. Hide the steak knives.

Monticore said...

I love Steinbeck too. My favorite is Tortilla Flat. Nothing better than the adventures of Barrachos.

You appear to be well versed in literature. Can you please explain what the father's dying words in East of Eden mean?? I loved the whole book but didn't get the ending.

Monticore said...

Oh wait Timshel means though mayest. So adam was blessing his son with the choice of free will.

carly said...

When I bought To A God Unknown, I was also holding Tortilla Flat--I think that one will be next.

And oh my word, East Of Eden. It's one of my all-time favorite books.