Sunday, February 10, 2008

Let them eat cake...

I like to bake. And, I mostly like to bake because I really love decorating something and making it special for whoever it's for.

So, back in November, my friend Erin asked me if I would make the cake for her daughter Ella's 2nd birthday. I said sure and then Erin told me that Ells had been talking about me making her a "tunkin cake." Which, loosely translated is, "pumpkin cake." She's way too cute to say no to--so I made this:

She still talks about it. It was very fun.

At Ella's party, my friend Jess pulled me aside and told me, not asked me--if you know Jess, this makes perfect sense--that I was going to make Max's (her son) cake, too. Then, I think she pinched me. I can't be sure, but it's something she'd do.
Anyway. Max is way too cute to say no to, as well--so, I made him his cake this weekend. I have to say, folks--this was crazy. To make that pumpkin, I had to be brave. To make this train, I had to be fearless. I spent Friday night and Saturday night working on it and I've decided that cake-making/decorating is art. And I dig it.

Here's Thomas:


And here's Swells blowing out his candles (and that little blondie behind him is Ella):
If you're interested, I have more pictures and you can see how I did it step by step HERE.

10 comments:

Adam said...

That's a great talent you have.

You should totally check out this show called Ace of Cakes if you haven't already.

A bunch of hipster cake makers in Baltimore. It's awesome.

m.wise said...

great job, carly. very impressive.

carly said...

thanks!

oh man. i love ace of cakes. i tivo it. and i have a mad, mad crush on duff.

timidvenus said...

those are awesome. and, fyi, my birthday is in 17 days...

carly said...

oooo! hmm. what kind of cake would YOU want, miss sara!?

m.wise said...

she wants a jack johnson bust

carly said...

lol i'll get right on that...

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

incredible!

carly said...

thanks, nanc!!

timidvenus said...

whatever kind, but im not a fan of the chocolate. or banana (do they even make cakes in banana?)