well. so mike wanted stories--but he wanted people to use his words. i think that's how this started. he tagged sara and sara tagged me--but she gave me new words to use. namely: fireplace, calligraphy, green, picture, float, fur, scar, birthday, fresh & magic.
i'm tagging stacy, chrissy & dennis.
and here's my "story..."
“No, seriously, it was fur. Not hair, fur.”
“Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.”
The axiom came from my mother, holding a vegetable peeler, potato scraps floating in the sink in front of her. She turned, wiping her freshly-manicured hands on the ratty green apron she’s had long as I can remember. I stared at her.
“You do know that makes very little sense, right? You’ve been saying it for years and it’s never made sense to me.”
It was her answer to everything. Well. That and, “Carly Denise, you operate on the principal that it’s easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.” I heard that one the time my friends and I got caught roasting marshmallows in the fireplace—sans parental supervision. I heard it when I accidentally trashed the calligraphy set my sister got for her 12th birthday. I used all the ink and bent the nibs. I heard it at 16 when my parents went away for the weekend and I took the car into the city. But I’m pretty sure it all started when she found out that I’d been shaving my legs in secret at age 10. There’s a three month span of time where every picture I’m in I have knee-socks on.
“It makes perfect sense. Don’t believe everything you’re told, Carly. Especially when the source is questionable at best.”
I laughed. “That wasn’t very nice. He’s not a completely unreliable source. Besides, I get that part. I don’t get the ‘half of what you see’ part.”
“What’s not to get? Looks can be deceiving. You just don’t like that part because then you become the questionable source of said information.”
“Geez, Ma. Anything else you want to point out? I haven’t been sufficiently scarred from my upbringing.”
“You little shit.” She threw a dishtowel at my head. “There was nothing wrong with your upbringing. Your father and I can’t help it if you were rebellious.”
“Yeah, yeah. Anyway. So, you’re saying that I don’t like it because then I’m the one who is possibly inventing information. Magically seeing what I want to see? Not seeing what I don’t?”
“You got it, kid.”
“Well. I still think it was fur.”
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Um do I have to use those words or do you have new words for me to use? Are there any other rules to being tagged?
yes. i'm sticking with sara's words cause they're hard. ;)
and as for the rules, here they are, right from mike:
i had an idea to create a scene or story that had to include a list of words in it. there are 10 words that must be used. they do not have to be used in any particular order. you can use alternate meanings of the words, or their normal usage. the story can be a run-on sentence, or a paragraph(s). you can use as many of the key words in a sentence that you want. after writing your story, you should tag 3 others to do the same.
It's fun to see the different directions everyone went with their stories. Nice one.
thanks!
and yeah, it's a pretty rad idea.
let's start one using haiku.
Post a Comment