Friday, February 15, 2008

stuck.

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment.
-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Some days I forget where I am. I forget that this wasn't really what I had in mind. Those days, it's a kind of welcome temporary lapse of judgement that allows me to settle in and refuse to be bothered by my circumstances.

Today is not one of those days. Today I am devastatingly aware of this amber moment. Stuck. Trapped like an insect. Something seemingly insignificant held, suspended, in stone. And after a while, you don't feel seemingly insignificant anymore, you are. Because being trapped, feeling trapped, doesn't lend itself to purpose. It doesn't translate passion.

So here I am. Too scared to run. Too sad to stay. Buh.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Run girl. You can do it.

m.wise said...

it sounds like you need a hug. someone, bring me a child of 5...to hug her!

Adam said...

Oh Mike, you and your ellipses. Ed beat me to the punch on your last comment but now I think you're just doing it on purpose.

But you still made me laugh.

Seriously though Carly, go for it. Whatever "it" may be.

carly said...

hey...don't knock ellipses. they're one of my favorite things.

and incidentally, i saw my nieces and nephews tonight and was, in fact, hugged and kissed by a child of 5. and 11. and 9. and 9. and 7. and 4.