Some years ago I worked at a college as the Assistant Director of Student Activities. Mostly, my job was, well, planning activities. For students. We did concerts, coffeehouses, laser tag, carnivals, karaoke nights, film fests...you get the point. One year, my boss came up with this "Mystery Overnight Bus Trip" event. Students boarded a bus at 11pm and we promised to return them by 8am. That was the deal. They had no idea where we'd take them, what we'd do, how we'd do it...it was good times.
So, this particular year, the first stop was the Monster Truck Jam at Mellon Arena. Susan (the boss-lady) got tickets for us to go early, tour the...pit...or whatever you'd call it--meet the drivers, see the monster trucks up close....yeah, I think there's a photo of me somewhere, kissing the side of "Predator." Actually, I think it ended up in the yearbook. Whatever. The important thing to know is that I'm not a monster truck type of girl. And incidentally, and maybe more importantly, neither were some of my friends that had come along with us. They were artists, poets, writers. One even ended up being a pretty successful filmmaker here in Pittsburgh.
Anyway, all of that is to get to this--at one point, after we were all in our seats, waiting for the rock-'em, sock-'em, down and dirty fun to begin--my friend Lucas turned in his seat and leaned in, close to my ear.
"I'm nervous, Carly."
"You're nervous? Uh, I don't think we're in danger. I'm fairly certain we're out of shrapnel range."
"No, no. I'm nervous because...what if I like it?"
"Oooh...that. I'm nervous, too."
And we were right to be. We liked it. I mean, my ears were ringing when we left and I don't think I ever really got the smell of diesel fuel out of my jacket, but...it was really fun. Really stupid. But really fun.
I guess what I'm getting at is that I had that same exact feeling again, today when I watched Ghost Rider.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I had a nearly identical experience in college as well. I also enjoyed the monster trucks and idiot antics of other drivers and their monstrosities. I think there should be a support group.
I haven't seen Ghostrider yet, but I'll let you know when I do if I have the same experience.
i hope i never have the experience of liking ghost rider. i would be pretty upset with myself if i did.
you know what, i had that thought. i mean...i was sitting there, watching this flaming skull laugh like fire marshall bill and i thought, "this.is.awful."
but i kept watching and came to the conclusion that it was so bad, i liked it.
"the girl i liked/was seeing" would have to be watching that movie for me to even have it on to give it attention. i felt that i had to use quotes there since i can't currently fill that role. anyway.
i hear that--only, i feel that way about movies like the notebook or any other melodramatic nonsense that most women love.
not to mention, i have this weird thing where i can't NOT watch nicholas cage.
as for not being able to fill that role. pssh. what's her name, i'll talk to her for you. tell her not to be a chump.
i'll be upset if either mike or adam like nick cage's "hair" in ghost rider.
I believe you were the Assistant TO the Director...
pssht. you're just jealous cause you were the grad assistant.
By "Grad Assistant" do you mean "the new guy I maninupated to do all my work while I took another personality quiz on emode"? Not that taking those quizzes was easy work since the computers sucked.
All I know is that my favorite day of the week was Monday.
oh danny-that made me laugh so hard! i want you to know that i have a picture at my desk that i stole from the office. it's the one where i'm blowing up that inflatable palm tree and we had made that bubble over my head that said, "i wish danny was here to do this for me...i'm messing up my lipgloss."
my favorite day of the week was monday, too.
Post a Comment